Download this information as a PDF
Concept Questions – All Episodes
- How does this organism feed? Does it have unique structures that help it catch its food?
- What kinds of senses does this organism have? How do they differ from our senses?
- How does this animal attract mates and reproduce?
- What characteristics did biologists use to place this animal in a classification (taxonomic) group?
- What kind(s) of habitat(s) does this animal need to survive?
- Do people like or dislike this organism? Why or why not?
- What would happen if this animal disappeared? Would it affect any other plants and animals?
Questions for Specific Episodes
Sharks and Rays
- Why is Port Royal Sound a great place for sharks and rays?
- What are the differences between sharks and a bony fish?
- How do sharks locate their food?
- Name three types of sharks and two types of rays found in our waters.
- What are the ampullae of Lorenzini (found on sharks) and what are they used for?
- Do sharks ruin local game fish populations?
- What kind of bait do you use to catch sharks?
- What species of bony fish hangs around sharks and even sticks on the back of sharks and rays? Why?
- What is a stingray spine used for?
- Why don’t sharks need dentists?
- What is the only plant that can survive in the deep salt marsh?
- Why are the underwater pilings of local docks always covered with lots of animals?
- Why do periwinkle snails stay up high on Spartina stalks?
- Name two kinds of crabs found in our marsh.
- Why do male fiddler crabs have one large claw?
- How does a squid move through the water? How does it protect itself?
- What mammal loves to eat fiddler crabs?
- What happens to Spartina grass after it turns brown and dies back?
- Name one edible plant from our salt marsh.
- Why is it important to leave a buffer of grasses, shrubs and trees between your yard and the marsh?
- What is the best way to catch a mouse or rat? What kind of bait do you use?
- Why are rats, mice and other small mammals important to the ecosystem?
- How is a mole designed to live underground?
- What can a possum do to protect itself from predators?
- Where do bats spend the daytime hours?
- What do bats eat? How do they locate their food?
- How do most mammals feed their babies?
- Why do raccoons dip food in the water?
- Do flying squirrels fly or glide?
- Why do armadillos have such big claws?
Creatures of the Night
- What does the term nocturnal mean?
- Name two adaptations that animals have for nighttime activity.
- How can you locate an alligator when it is really dark outside?
- How does a female treefrog find a mate?
- Name two kinds of treefrogs found in local wetlands.
- What tool could you use to catch a bunch of insects at night?
- Why do horseshoe crabs come up on local beaches at night?
- What animals depend on horseshoe crabs as part of their lifecycle?
- Why are horseshoe crabs so important to people?
- Why do snakes cross roads at night?
Reptiles and Amphibians
- What is the best way to catch a snapping turtle? What is a great bait?
- Name two venomous snakes found in our woods.
- What do glossy crayfish feed on?
- Why do green anoles change from brown to green?
- Where could you find a diamondback terrapin?
- Where does the chicken turtle get its name? What do these turtles feed on?
- How can you tell that a glass lizard is a lizard and not a snake?
- Why do male skinks have such big powerful jaws?
- Where do most frogs, toads and salamanders lay their eggs?
- Name four different groups of reptiles found in our woods.